Do you have old shirts that you don’t wear anymore? You can turn them into trendy tube tops! Today we’ll discuss how to make tube tops from shirts. With a little time and effort, you can make a bunch of tube tops to wear all summer long.
How to Make Tube Tops from Shirts
Find a t-shirt that you are willing to cut up. Turn it inside out. The shirt can be loose-fitting or fitted. If the shirt is loose-fitting, you will need to insert elastic to help hold it up. If the shirt is brand new, make sure that it has been washed and dried to remove any potential shrinking.
To make a tube top from a shirt, first cut off the sleeves. Then, just below the armpits, cut across the top of the shirt. Make sure to cut through both layers of the shirt. You can discard the top part of the shirt, or save it for another project. If you are having trouble cutting straight, use a ruler or measuring tape as a guide.
Fold the cut edge of the shirt down by 1 inch (2.54 centimeters). Use sewing pins to secure the fold in place. Make sure that you are pinning all the way around the top of the shirt, so that the shirt can still open like a tube. For a nice, crisp edge, press the folded hem down with a clothing iron.
Sew along the folded edge of the fabric, leaving a ½ inch (1.27 centimeters) gap in the back. Try to sew as close to the cut edge as possible. You will need the space between the folded edge for the elastic and the stitching. Also, make sure to leave a ½ inch (1.27 centimeters) wide gap between where you started and finished sewing, or you will not be able to get the elastic inside.
- Use a thread color that closely matches your t-shirt.
- If your sewing machine has a knit fabric setting, use it. It usually looks like a standard straight stitch that’s broken up by V shapes.
- Remove the pins when you are done. Also, snip off the loose ends of the threads.
Measure around your chest, just below the armpits. Cut a piece of elastic to the same measurement. This will assist to hold your tube top up. Even if your shirt was fitted, an elastic might still be a good idea, as fitted shirts can loosen over time.
How to insert elastic into a shirt:
- Set a safety pin to one end of the elastic.
- Use the safety pin to guide the elastic through the top hem of the shirt.
- Find the ½ inch (1.27 centimeters) wide gap in the stitching.
- Push the safety pin through the gap.
- Use the safety pin to guide the elastic all the way around the top of the shirt.
- Pull the safety pin out when you reach the gap again.
- Both ends of the elastic should now be sticking out of the gap.
- Be careful to balance the other end of the elastic inside the shirt hem.
To sew the two ends of the elastic together, overlap them by 1 inch (2.54 centimeters) and sew them down using the smallest stitch you can. This will prevent any unsightly bulges. Once you are done, push the elastic back through the gap. Finally, sew the gap shut for a nicer finish.
Please wear your tube top and a strapless bra to avoid showing any bra straps.
Let’s Try Manufacturing Tube Tops From BCG !
So, now you know how to make tube tops from shirts in detail. If you want to make your custom tube top in bulk, Beautiful Connection Group is ready to give you affordable clothing manufacturing services. The Beautiful Connection Group, located in the United States, specializes in the production of women’s clothing. They offer a wide range of dress types, including tops, t-shirts, leggings, skirts, and more. This manufacturer is particularly advantageous for new clothing business owners since they do not impose high minimum purchase amounts; their minimum purchase amount is only 50. The company provides the flexibility to customize any dress design and choose any fabric. However, please check their website for more detail.